You are surfing the internet for so long and have visited dozens of websites for your work. Even if you have searched for many different websites with www.——.com but have you ever wondered what is WWW and its important features for a website? Perhaps many of you know that www stands for World Wide Web but you may not know the features of WWW, characteristics, benefits, & uses.
So, hang out with us because with this article we are going to share the importance of the World Wide Web, its features characteristics, and more.
What Is WWW and How Does It Work?
World Wide Web (www) was introduced in the year 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in Switzerland. It is built on a technology known as HyperText Transfer Protocol that accesses the communication between the server and clients.
The WWW works in a very simple way and acts as a search tool that helps to find information from different websites. It allows the users to access the information to the related queries with hyperlinks.
What Are The Main Features Of WWW (World Wide Web)?
Below are some of the characteristics of WWW in points.
- HyperText information system
- Open standards and open source
- Uses web browsers
- Dynamic, interactive & evolving
- Web 2.0
I hope you may get to know what is www & its features. Now let’s move further to know something more about it.
What Are The Components Of The World Wide Web?
The three components of www are,
- HTML – The HyperText Markup Language is a type of web format that is used to connect different document resources.
- URL – The Unique Resource Locator is a type of address of a web unique to every other resource.
- HTTP – The HyperText Transfer Protocol allows the documents to transfer between the servers and the internet.
- Web Server – Type of computer network that allows access the files through the Internet using HTTP.
All these components of the web are interconnected to each other and work equally to serve you the best.
What is the difference between WWW and Internet?
Some people might think that WWW & the internet are the same things but it’s not so. Internet is very different from World Wide Web.
The Internet is a network that connects with different computers, laptops, etc. for getting information. When you send an email or chat online, you are using the internet. Whereas whenever you search for some information on a search engine like Google, & visit the websites then you are using WWW.
So the main difference between the two is that www is a part of the internet that you use on it.
Top 10 Uses Of The World Wide Web
The World Wide Web makes it easy for a user to get any information on the internet.
- You can access it from anywhere in the world by using the internet.
- It provides you with the information that you may need.
- Helps you to connect with anyone in the world on the internet.
- Buy & sell online from anywhere
- Best for online marketing and advertisements
- Helps in building your online store & business
- Access to unlimited online information
- Watch video live streaming and many more for entertainment
- Students use to learn online & get external information
- Helps to maintain the public relations
Some Disadvantages of WWW
Now as we have seen the benefits of the World Wide Web, now let’s talk about its limitations also.
- One can share your location and some other information is shared on the internet. However, you can use some of the cheapest VPN yearly software to browse the internet privately.
- A Major disadvantage of using www is that you can be a victim of cybercriminals or cyber threats.
- You can be a victim of online viruses and malicious codes.
- Sometimes you even get wrong information & fake news on WWW.
- Cyberbullying is another disadvantage of using W3.
Why do we put WWW?
The main reason to use WWW in URLs is to identify the website address. However, you can even search for the website without using the www before a website address. It just shows that a particular website of information is on the World Wide Web.
Why do some websites not work without wWW?
When you can’t access a website without www it means that the website owner has decided & mandated to use the prefix www before a website name.
Who Invented The World Wide Web?
Tim Berners-Lee was the first person who invented the World Wide Web in the year 1989. He invented www with some of his other collogues at CERN.
How Many Websites Are There On Internet?
According to recent statistics, there are more than 1.86 billion websites available on the internet.